Arizona Mountain Flying Safety Course
Are you a newly certificated pilot with minimal mountain flying experience? Perhaps you recently moved to Arizona from the "flat lands?" You owe it to yourself and your loved ones to receive the proper training before flying the unforgiving terrain of northern Arizona.
Jim's one-day safety course includes 2.5 hours of thorough ground instruction and over 3 hours of flight training to three of northern Arizona's most popular (and potentially dangerous) airports: Flagstaff, Sedona, and Payson.
This is a fun and exciting way to gain the knowledge, experience, and confidence you need to safely navigate northern Arizona.
Ground Training Includes
- Review of weather theory, reports, and forecasts related to mountain flying
- A closer look at density altitude
- Human factors
- Aircraft performance (and the lack thereof)
- Mixture leaning procedures
- Avoiding controlled flight into terrain (CFIT)
...and much more!
Flight Training Includes
- Flight in your own airplane (or an acceptable airplane that you have access to)
- You at the controls with Jim by your side
- Discover why those performance calculations are so important
- Experience takeoffs, landings, and go-arounds at high density altitudes
- Learn the local "how-to" information for flying in and out of Flagstaff, Sedona, and Payson
- Stop for lunch at Sedona (optional)
- Hold at least a private pilot certificate
- Hold a current medical certificate or qualify under BasicMed
- Complete all homework assignments before beginning the course
$600 (does not include airplane). If you have friends that would like to also take the course, multiple pilots may attend the ground training at no additional cost. Other pilots and passengers are also welcome to join you on the flight (weight & balance / performance permitting).
Contact Jim to schedule your course at a time that is convenient for you.
The following items must be completed before class:
- Flight log for the entire flight: DVT to FLG to SEZ to PAN to DVT
- Flight plan ready to file
- Weight and balance calculations complete (Jim weighs 170 lbs.)
- Takeoff, landing, and climb performance calculations complete
Please Contact Jim at least 5 days before class if you need help performing any of the above items.
Note: This is not a traditional mountain flying course with operations in and out of short dirt strips and/or canyon flying. This course is designed to teach techniques specific to Arizona and safe operations at Flagstaff, Sedona, and Payson airports.